The USAID/Egypt Mission has contracted The QED Group LLC to implement the Services to Improve Performance Management, Enhance Learning, and Evaluation (SIMPLE). This is a 5 years, 2015-2020, 24.5 Million US$ project. SIMPLE provides a host of services to support USAID/Egypt’s Program and Technical Offices in areas including monitoring, evaluation, program design, and information management. These services include reviewing Implementing Partners’ MEL Plans, data quality assessment, projects assessments and evaluations services. The primary purpose of MEL Platform is to improve performance management at all levels to help the Mission meet Agency requirements, make better informed strategic and management decisions, and advance Agency learning. In partnership with the Mitchell Group, Inc. (TMG) , Beit Al Karma Consulting (BK), have been awareded the 6-months contract to evaluate the SIMPLE monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) platform mechanism. The purpose of this evaluation is to:
- Provide evidence and learning to USAID/Egypt to inform the design and use of the next generation of MEL support contracts; and
- Assess the quality of SIMPLE’s products and services.
The evaluation services adopted a remote evaluation approach. Remote interviews, 91 Key In-depth Interviews (KII), were conducted using online platforms (Zoom, etc.). Interviews included representatives of the USAID Front Office, USAID Program Office, USAID offices of Agriculture & Economic Growth, Education and Health, Democracy and Governance office, staff of the US Consulting Prime Contractor (QED Group), Local M&E Consultants. Evaluation activities and tasks included
- Desk and project literature review (Progress reports, Training materials, Evaluation reports, etc.) to inform the development of KII protocols.
- Drafting methodology plan, work plan and communication plan • Conducted quick Most Significant Change targeting USAID staff to MSC question leveraged to inform and further refine the interview protocols
- Data Collection Tools design and Piloting (Testing)
- Conduct KII and several FGDs remotely
- Thematic categorization, synthesizing themes and defining principle findings
- Findings are then quantisized to generate more effective data capture for responses (weights)
- Preliminary analyses and preliminary presentation (identify frequencies, patterns, diverging and converging trends).
- Conduct online quantitative survey for most useful respondents.
- Triangulation analysis, prepared final findings, conclusions, and recommendations table using recommendation ranking sheet
- Draft and final report as well as final Presentation